How do I choose a real estate agent?
This is a great question because selling a home can be complicated, and it is important to have the right person with the right knowledge to assist you. Eventually every home seller is trying to reach the maximum value for selling a property. Hiring a professional real estate agent can help you prevent costly mistakes on the way and make smart decisions on the get-go. Follow these steps to find the perfect real estate agent for you.
Explore your options.
Ask your family or friends for recommendations or find a real estate agent who is actively involved in the area where you plan to sell your home.
Interview multiple real estate agents.
Get an idea about the following key features for considering a real estate agent:
- Local Knowledge and track record. As an expert in the field, a real estate agent can confidently provide you with valuable insights on the optimal selling price for your house, taking into account the latest trends and transactions in your local area. Ensure that you hire or retain an individual who possesses extensive knowledge about the area you want to sell your house.
- Marketing. Marketing and pitching skills are crucial for anyone involved in selling houses. A successful real estate agent must possess the ability to showcase a property in the best possible light online. This is particularly important as a vast majority of potential buyers browse properties online before scheduling an in-person viewing. Therefore, it is imperative that the pictures, videos, and descriptions used to promote the property are of the finest and highest quality.
- Availability. A full-time agent who is not too busy with other work is more likely to be there for you when you call or text. They can also arrange visits to homes at short notice. When you interview real estate agents, ask them if they can dedicate enough time to meet your needs, such as preparing and showing a home according to your schedule or visiting multiple homes every week.
- Degree of personal attention. When it comes to choosing between working with a single agent or a team of two or more agents, rest assured that both options have their advantages. Opting for a team of agents guarantees that there will always be someone available to assist you, as they work together seamlessly. However, for those who value establishing a strong relationship with one person who will be there for them throughout the entire process, working with a single agent is the way to go.
- Discuss contractual obligations and commitments. When you hire a listing agent, you will sign an agreement in general for 1 year. Make sure you know what services the real estate agent will offer. They might include staging, professional photos, advertising, and open houses. Different real estate may offer different services, so take the time to understand what they will provide. Commissions and fees can also vary between brokerages, depending on the services you want. Make sure you understand what will be provided and how much it will cost.
Choosing the right real estate agent to sell your home is very important. It can affect how quickly your home sells and how much money you make. It is advisable to seek out a real estate agent who has a proven track record of successfully selling properties within your area and comparable pricing. Additionally, it is recommended to consider an agent who has received positive feedback from previous clients, and who does not engage in dual agency. Before signing the contract, review it carefully with the agent. If you're unsure about anything, you can consult a lawyer who specializes in real estate law.