Building & content insurance
When do you need building insurance?
- Building insurance is an important insurance to have to protect your home from damage (fire or water etc). This insurance is often required by the bank when applying for a mortgage loan, to secure the value of the property in case of an accident.
- Content insurance is not required by a financial institution but often advisable in case of an accident or theft to protect your belongings.
What is life insurance?
A Life insurance is a contract between you and a life insurance company. You agree to pay for the life insurance policy on a monthly basis and the insurer agrees to pay a predetermined sum of money to your beneficiaries in case you pass away.
When do you need life insurance?
If you are the prime income driver for your family, it is advisable to take out a life insurance policy to secure your families economic future in case you pass away. When taking out a mortgage loan, the bank or insurance company requires a life insurance to be in place to secure the repayment of the property in case of death.
What type of life insurances are there?
There are two main life insurance policies in the Dutch Caribbean, including Term-life insurance and a savings insurance.
- Term life insurance only pays out if the insured person passes away within the term of the insurance. As such any remaining debt may be covered by the life insurance as well as potential remaining monies to be paid out to beneficiaries.
- With a savings insurance you pay a monthly premium for a number of years and you will be paid out an amount on an agreed upon date. With this type of life insurance, you can, for example, pay off your mortgage or take a trip around the world.
What type of car insurances are there?
- WA car insurance (civil liability) covers the damage for which the car owner is legally liable. However, damage to your own car is not reimbursed with third-party insurance. Every car owner is obligated to insure his or her car (minimum) WA. Because the insurance is linked to the car, there is also cover if you let someone else drive your car (unless this person is not legally authorized to drive a car).
- A car insurance with WA + limited CASCO offers, in addition to the compulsory third-party cover, insurance against damage to your own car from a number of events mentioned in the conditions of the contract. This includes damage from theft, fire, hail / storm and window breakage.
- All Risk car insurance (WA + CASCO) has even more extensive coverage than the limited CASCO insurance. With All Risk car insurance, damage to your own car is covered in most situations.